Devilled kidneys - Gwen's style
1 medium onion
1 stalk celery
1 tablespoon paprika
1 large clove garlic, crushed
half a teaspoon hot english mustard or 1 teaspoon french/dijon mustard
1/2 cup cream.
salt and pepper
1. Before you can cook the kidney, you need to remove the tough sinews inside.
2. To get to the tough white sinews inside the kidney, you need to cut the kidney lengthwise in half.
3. Get a good grip on the white sinew and pull it away while slicing it off.The sinew fans out into little strings. Try to get as much of it out as possible.
4. Cut the halved kidney into three pieces. You can soak the kidneys in milk or salt wtare to remove bitterness but its not essential.
5. Chop some onion and celery fine and slowly fry it off in some ghee or oil of choice until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry over slow heat for 1 min.
6. Add a heaped tablespoon of paprika, and mustard and fry for another 3 minutes over slow heat. Turn the heat up for 2 min before you add the kidneys. Stir the kidneys and cook for 5 minutes and add the cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve as soon as you don't see any more blood surfacing. Never overcook kidneys.
Serve on good quality sourdough bread or on rice with chopped parsley.